Contact Us

Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler
17 Walnut Street
New Britain, CT 06051

Toll Free: (866) 707-5993
Fax: (860) 224-7302

New Britain Law Office Map

Grandparents Rights Attorney Hartford County

Throughout the course of a child's life, he or she may have a wide range of influences and family relationships. One particularly important relationship is that between children and their grandparents. Parents are encouraged to make children available to grandparents in order to foster that relationship. Unfortunately, this is not always the case; many grandparents must fight for the right to see their own grandchildren. Though may be difficult for grandparents to obtain visitation rights, though it is still very possible to seek the court-establishment of these rights.

At the Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler , I have over 20 years of experience representing grandparents and parents in a wide range of family law matters, including grandparents' rights. I focus my attention on handling cases for clients located throughout Hartford, New Britain and surrounding Connecticut communities. I pride myself on keeping the lines of communication open with my clients, answering my own phone calls and personally handling all aspects of your case. I will explain your case to you in a language that you can easily understand. Contact my office to schedule an initial consultation to speak with me about your specific case and needs.

There are a number of Connecticut state statutes that speak directly to the issue of grandparental rights. The statutes are closely related and often refer to one another. There are also a number of previous cases that set the standard for how grandparents' rights may be awarded. Below are some explanations of these statutes and situations.

  • One statute states that at any time, the court can make or modify a custody, visitation or support order regarding any minor children subject to a later statute, discussed below.
  • Custody is usually awarded to a mother or father. However, it can be awarded to a 3rd party (whether that be grandparents or another interested party) and visitation rights can be awarded to other parties.
  • When a court is deciding upon custody, the presumption is that joint custody is in the best interests of the child, unless a party can show that it is detrimental for a child to stay with one parent or the other. This allows any interested 3rd party, such as grandparents, to intervene.
  • The court may grant right of visitation to any person.
  • In gaining access to a child, it is possible to seek a guardianship if it is in the best interests of the child.
  • If a child has established a parental-like relationship with a grandparent, and the relationship is ended, the child may suffer real and significant harm. This is a situation in which a court may establish grandparents' rights.

I can handle cases on either side of a grandparents' rights case, whether it be representing parents who are attempting to block a grandparent's access to a child or a grandparent who is seeking visitation with a child. Cases involving custody and visitation are handled in superior court while guardianship proceedings are handled in probate court.

To further discuss grandparents' rights or other family law matters with a knowledgeable lawyer, contact me and schedule your free initial consultation. My offices are located two blocks from the New Britain Courthouse, just 20 minutes from Rockville, Middletown or New Britain. I accept PayPal.